Cape Coloured People pull their front teeth for Fashion

DID YOU KNOW? It's fashionable for some Cape Coloured people to pull out their front teeth... no jokes! You have to respect all cultures and their believes even though some seem extremely bizarre.

Decide for yourself if the reasoning makes sense. Not all Cape Coloured people think this way so this is not to set a stereotype.

Geraldine (23) Cape Flats “I was twelve years old when I got my four front teeth pulled out because all my friends did so. I told the dentist it hurt when I ate ice cream. That wasn’t true of course but if you tell the dentist it is for fashion you have to pay. It was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made because there was nothing wrong with my teeth and I can’t get them back.”

Martha (30) Simons Town “Friends told me the kissing was much better that is why I pulled them out. Apparently you feel each others tongue better but I’m still not convinced about the advantage of that. A dentist from overseas pulled them out for free. I told her I had a bad toothache, I didn’t dare to tell her I was curious about the kissing thing.”

Samuel (31) Fish Hoek “Two years ago I pulled them out. I did it myself. It is a fashion statement, many of my friends did it before for the same reason. It hurt a lot but I think it looks cool so the pain was definitely worth it. I want people to see I’m colored, the missing teeth prove who I am. My grandfather was a fisherman and pulled them out because he could whistle much louder without these teeth, which is useful out on the sea.”


Damian (27) Ocean View” I took all my upper teeth out and want to get rid of the others as well. I’ll do it step by step because it is quite expensive at the private clinic where go to. But I want a guarantee that it will be done properly. I want to put gold in my mouth because gold looks cool. But I don’t have the money yet so for now I live without upper teeth, which doesn’t look bad I think. People like my smile.”

Nitl (32) Ocean View “I was ten when I pulled them out. My brother told me to do so, I didn’t know why at the time. Now I know it is fashionable all over Cape Town and it tells who you are. But, most importantly, the kissing is much better, my girlfriend likes it a lot. It is great to feel each others palate.”

Tuan (25) Fish Hoek “I think I have a better smile without my front teeth. I pulled them out a year ago. I should have done it earlier. My friends and family did it as well, their smiles are much nicer. I would like at least one gold tooth but that is going to cost me R600, I don’t have the money yet.”

Tanya (33) Calk Bay “I pulled them out for my husband, he loves my ‘passion gap‘. He thinks the kissing is better, besides that he can’t think of getting a bjob from a woman with front teeth. I think it spoils your face though, my nose dropped a little bit. I bought false teeth but lost them while swimming in the sea. If my daughter wants to pull her teeth out, I wouldn’t.

Comments