Buying Online From Zimbabwe


For the past 3 years I have bought more than 100 products online and I have received 98% of the items with 2% being refunds or packages being resent.These items I have bought them using first in 2016 the expired Steward Bank Mastercard, then I got in 2017 the Ecobank Cashxpress .Now currently using prefunded Steward Bank Globetrotter Visa card.

Today, I will share  my experience of my recent order.


On 7 September 2018 I walked into Steward Branch Bulawayo with USD$100 and deposited it into my Steward Bank Visa card.Then on the 9th September browsed on Aliexpress and found X3 Wireless Speakers at a cost of $7.98 each.I made an order of 6 speakers at 13.12pm paid and transaction was processed and I waited a few minutes while payment was being verified.After verification ,the order was moved "Orders Awaiting Shipment". This when the Seller is processing your order for shipment,during this time you can message seller for requests on order,colors etc.Seller usually has 5 to 14 days to ship the items or order will be cancelled and refunds returned to you.

10 September parcel shipped. Once the seller has shipped your items the order is moved to "Goods Awaiting Confirmation".At this point your parcel will have Delivery information and you can no-longer change anything. Delivery information available is Estimated delivery time, Carrier (in this case China Post) , Ship To and Tracking number.You have up 60 days to confirm goods once you receive them. All you can do is wait now.

For me I usually get and enter the Tracking Number on a Android app called Track24, it updates you on the movement of the parcel from entry into the China Post system to until it clears Zimra and arrives at Zimpost main Office then your local area post, in this case mine is Hillside Bulawayo. Note :its not all items that can be tracked till Zimbabwe ,some end when parcel leaves China. Electronic goods usually ship from China and pass through Singapore Air Freight Centre where sender details are chanaged. So when items are received usually they say from Singapore cause the sticker from seller is covered by the Singapore details.

33 days later 12 October 2018, I get sms from Post office saying "Hie collect parcel at HILLSIDE $42.28. In this case my parcel had to pay customs duty because goods were more than $10. Anything bought online less than $10 does not pay customs duty but pays $2 Zimpost clearance fees.If goods above $10 Zimpost clearnace fees is $12.

So I paid Customs duty 30.28 + Zimpost Clearance fees $12 = $42.28 collected parcel and went home.

Speakers came in a L 210mm x W 110mm x H 165mm box wrapped with 2 bubble plastics. Labels on the box include Zimra charges, receivers details , sender details etc.The box itself was wrapped with yellow masking tape. You can see more on pics below.



ZIMRA INFO AND CHARGES








Once you are happy with contents of your parcel, you can log in and confirm goods received on Aliexpress.

My experience may be different from yours and I hope you have learnt a few things.

Comments